We generally do not recommend cooking with olive oil but this is Dodie’s grandmother’s delicious recipe and we are making an exception. She was a fabulous Italian cook! You can dribble with coconut oil but the flavor will not be the same.
CONTRIBUTED BY: DODIE ANDERSON
Large roasting pan
1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 4-5 lb/2-3 kg whole chicken, sectioned (preferably from pastured source and hormone-free)
5-6 Yukon Gold potatoes
Pickling salt and pepper to taste
Coconut oil (92 degrees)
Optional: finely chopped fresh parsley
PREPARATION AND COOKING TIME
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1-1½ hours
1. Preheat oven to 375 F/190 C.
2. Cut chicken into small parts (6 pieces) or you could buy a cut up chicken.
3. Smear olive and coconut oils generously on the bottom of the roasting pan.
4. Peel potatoes and cut into fries.
5. Place chicken parts in the roasting pan.
6. Arrange potatoes around the chicken. Make sure the potatoes all touch the pan or they will not cook through.
7. Drizzle more olive oil over the chicken and potatoes.
8. Sprinkle about ½ cup filtered water over the chicken and potatoes.
9. Season with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle the Parmesan Cheese on top.
10. Bake in the oven and check every half hour to determine whether the food is cooking evenly and if there is enough water. You might need to move the chicken pieces around or add water if it is getting too dry.
11. Remove from the oven once the potatoes are well done and the chicken is cooked through with Parmesan cheese lightly browned and crispy.
12. Optional: Sprinkle with fresh, chopped parsley
Store leftovers in the fridge.