We incorporate mushrooms as a fiber staple in our diet so we prepare them in large quantities and have them on hand to add to recipes like this one.
Cooking time: 50 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
2. Grease pie plate/baking dish with coconut oil.
3. Sauté crushed garlic, optional, in a little coconut oil.
4. In a mixing bowl beat pastured eggs, half and half and salt.
5. With a spoon add shredded cheese, optional garlic and cooked mushrooms to the egg mixture.
6. Pour into a pie plate or baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
7. When done, remove from the oven and sprinkle with Parmesan Reggiano cheese.
8. Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes longer or until the egg mixture is set and the top of the quiche is slightly browned.
9. Remove from the oven and let the quiche stand on the counter for 5 minutes before serving.
SOME TIPS AND COMMENTS
1. You could add other proteins like ham, bacon, or shrimp for variety.
2. You could include other root vegetables but pre-cook them before adding to egg mixture and baking.
YIELD: Serves about 6
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve warm with a raw carrot salad and some fruit or fruit juice. It’s really delicious cold too!
STORAGE SUGGESTION: Store in the fridge, once cooled, for several days.