CONTRIBUTED BY: DODIE ANDERSON
Knife for slicing
Small measuring cup
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 summer fresh, well ripened medium-sized tomatoes
¾ lb fresh mozzarella
Pickling salt and pepper to taste
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ c torn fresh basil
¼ c chopped flat-leaf parsley
PREPARATION AND COOKING TIME
Prep time: approximately 45 minutes
1. Wash tomatoes and pat dry with a paper towel. Wash herbs if using them.
2. Slice tomatoes and mozzarella cheese into ½ inch/1 cm thick slices.
3. Combine garlic (if using) with olive oil in a small glass measuring cup. Let the flavors combine for 30 minutes to an hour.
4. Strain the oil and discard the garlic.
5. Arrange slices of tomatoes and cheese on a large platter, overlapping and alternating them.
6. Drizzle garlic-infused oil over the tomatoes and cheese.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
SOME TIPS AND COMMENTS
If you have delicate digestion, consider discarding the seeds.
For a special treat, i.e., don’t eat this every day, soak up the leftover salad dressing with a slice of sourdough bread!